If you've not had a chance to make it to AWDE, please remember that winter driving conditions can return at any time.
Winter driving tips:
- Be sure to carry plenty of windshield wiper fluid as liquid de-icers used to treat the roadways may stick to your windshield.
- Let the snowplow drivers do their jobs by giving them extra room.
- Slow down! Even roads that have been treated with liquid de-icers may be slippery.
- Don’t use cruise control when traveling in winter conditions.
- Be prepared. Have a scraper, snow brush, coat, hat, gloves, blanket, first aid kit, flashlight, tire chains, matches and nonperishable food in your car.
- Make sure your tires have good tread.
- Information on road conditions is available at www.cotrip.org or by calling the toll free number at 1-877-315-7623.
- When calling from anywhere in Colorado, dialing 511 will also access statewide road reports.
- Get road conditions directly to your smart phone or tablet using the free CDOT mobile app.
- Wear appropriate footwear.
- Watch the path ahead and move slowly as there is a likelihood of ice beneath the snow.
- Parking lots and walkways can be hazardous; be aware of potential changes in walking surfaces.